[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Status Update: Nav WG Docs in CMC Poll; Updated WG Guidelines

Berry, David S (US 3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 15 23:02:20 UTC 2019

All:

Here are a couple of status updates...

1. The "Re-Entry Data Message" and "Navigation Data - Definitions and Conventions" are now (as of yesterday 14-Nov-2019) in CMC "approve to publish" poll (see attached)! Hooray!

2. You may recall I distributed an updated version of the WG Guidelines at the Fall Meetings recently concluded. Dan emailed me with an insightful observation, to wit:

"David -

I take exception to your proposed new guideline of 'When revising an existing, published standard, observe the following rule: If it's wrong, fix it. If it's unclear, clarify it. Otherwise, leave it alone.'  This would seem to presume that we were all-knowing when the standard was first built, that use cases do not evolve, and that nobody can possibly need more capability than we had the foresight to provide."

Upon receiving Dan's comment, I looked back at the ISSFD 2017 paper where the guideline originally appeared and found that my recollection of the guideline was incomplete. The attached version of the guidelines corrects my error (see the "changestracked" version for detail). I thank Dan for his thoughtful comment.