[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] [EXTERNAL] Re: [CCSDS/RDM] Final Re-entry Data Message Red Book (v1.7) and CRM

Oltrogge, Daniel doltrogge at agi.com
Fri Jun 7 17:38:05 UTC 2019

Sounds like a good plan.

Daniel L. Oltrogge
Director, Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics, Incorporated
Voice: 719-482-4552<tel:719-482-4552>   ҉   E-mail: oltrogge at agi.com<mailto:oltrogge at agi.com>

On Jun 7, 2019, at 18:29, Berry, David S (3920) <david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov>> wrote:

Dan, Alexandru:

Regarding THRUST_ACCELERATION: There are two instances of this keyword in the document (one in Table 3-3 and one in Annex A), and five total instances of the word "acceleration" (four associated with this keyword). The fifth instance of "acceleration" is irrelevant to this keyword. The Description in Table 3-3 states "The object’s acceleration due to in-track thrust used to propagate the state vector and covariance to NOMINAL_RENTRY_EPOCH (if a controlled re-entry)", which seems to clearly indicate the in-track nature of the acceleration. The Description in Annex A (the ICS Proforma) states "Object’s acceleration used in OD and propagation", i.e., it does not include the "in-track" qualification. Although Section 3 and Annex A are both normative, I think that implementers are more likely to use Table 3-3 than Annex A in creating an RDM processor. However, it would be easy to add the word "in-track" in Annex A; page numbering would NOT be affected.

Regarding RECOMMENDED_OD_SPAN: It's an optional keyword, and leaving it in the document seems fairly innocuous at this point. It's been in the document since RDM Draft 0 in July 2016. The keyword was used in some of the prototype RDM samples.

MY PROPOSAL:

1. THRUST_ACCELERATION: I add the word "in-track" to the instance in Annex A before sending the document to Mario for his Area Director Review.

2. RECOMMENDED_OD_SPAN: I suggest we leave it in the document.