[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Question Regarding Impending TDM Agency Review

Berry, David S (3920) david.s.berry at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 24 23:48:44 UTC 2017

Tom:

As you may recall, the Navigation Working Group has been working on revisions to the CCSDS Tracking Data Message (TDM) 503.0-B-1 for a while. We are nearing the point where we believe we are ready to request an Agency Review; I reported this at the MOIMS Closing Plenary of the recently concluded Fall 2017 Meetings. Further, I indicated that the WG has a preference for a "Pink Sheets" review as opposed to a full "Pink Book" review, because the amount of material that was substantively changed is relatively small, and most of that is newly added data types.

The WG discussed this topic with you at the Fall 2014 Meetings in London, and at that time you opined that we were still in "Pink Sheets" territory, but that was obviously some time ago... for various reasons progress has been slow on these revisions.

During the 2017 plenary I received a suggestion from Mario that I should send you the revised document for a current opinion on the "Pink Sheets/Pink Book" question. Accordingly, I've attached a comparison document of the latest revision P1.0.6 to the original TDM (as formally revised in 2010). NOTE:  Somewhere along the line I managed to mess up the formatting of the draft. I did correct this, but my formatting changes show up as changes in the revision bars in the margins. I think this complicates the task of evaluating the Pink Sheets/Pink Book question, so I do apologize for that.

We are looking forward to your evaluation, after which the WG will request a formal Agency Review resolution from Mario.