[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] RE: CCSDS Nav WG Telecon

Oltrogge, Daniel doltrogge at agi.com
Wed Feb 17 19:46:51 UTC 2016

All –

Since it was fresh in my mind, I decided to just get the ODM v2.32 off of my to-do list.  I’ve attached both “track changes” and “changes accepted” versions.

Near as I can tell, there are two principal topics remaining to address:

(1)    The SMM and its potential merger with the OCM;

(2)    The potential addition (per ESA suggestion) of Chebyshev (or other) polynomial specification of ephemeris (and potentially covariance).

Regarding the first topic, I have now reviewed the SMM and its companion white paper.  I then compared the content of these documents with the OCM v2.32 (latest edition) and obtained the attached Excel spreadsheet comparison results.  Recognizing that we could always use COMMENT fields to stuff in information, but in this comparison I ignored that (for now).  I have three observations/comments:

(a)    While I totally understand the unique goals of the three types of maneuver messages, I would prefer to see them contained in a single maneuver message (at a minimum) which relies on optional content to allow the message to be user-tailored as necessary in order to meet all three of these unique goals.  Seems to me this could be less of a message development burden on the users of the standard than to make them develop, test, verify and field 3 different message types.

(b)   Both the proposed SMM and the OCM have content that the other does not.  The maneuver fidelity and finite burn, acceleration and delta-V time history of the OCM are vital to successful orbit propagation whereas simple impulsive maneuvers may not be sufficient.  The main question that my comparison surfaces is whether the OCM (an orbit message) should have information on maneuvers that have attitudinal goals/relevance.

(c)    I suggest that we explore the unique SMM content to ensure that it’s required and then assess (in Cleveland) whether this information “fits” into the OCM construct or not.

Regarding the second topic, I’m currently working with Vitali and Dave (Vallado) to survey the ephemeris compression methods that are out there, their prevalence in industry, achieved accuracies, etc.  Once that’s complete (probably over the next two months), we’d be in a position to make a recommendation w.r.t. including that in the OCM.

Thanks,

Dan

Daniel L. Oltrogge
SDC Program Manager & Senior Research Astrodynamicist
Center for Space Standards and Innovation
Analytical Graphics Incorporated