[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] AW: Launch Data Message Concept Paper

Reinhard.Kiehling at dlr.de Reinhard.Kiehling at dlr.de
Wed Feb 17 07:56:05 UTC 2016

Dear Dan,

Principally it is very desirable to have such a standard.

But in our view it makes only sense to put resources into such a project, if there are relevant launcher agencies who intend to use such a standard in the future. Might be it would be useful to involve them in such a specification process (similarly as JSpOC in case of the CDM).

Aside to this general remark we had here a first rough look to the paper and have the following preliminary comments:

-          In our view the proposed content is too comprehensive. We would prefer to keep the message as simple as possible and it should therefore be considered to put some of the information into an ICD (especially contact data among others).

-          Essential information are Separation Vector/Elements and Dispersions for each object (and some ancillary information like object properties).

-          In any way, the message should contain only data which can be generated by the launcher agency alone (and not by compiling all other staff received from various other sources into this message).

-          It is to discuss whether COLA aspects are to be included in this message. The use and feasibility of COLA screening is in our view questionable taking into account broad launch windows (up to hours) specified for a time span over several days or weeks and also including separation vector dispersions, and this for several objects.

Best regards
Reinhard

Deutsches Zentrum für Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
German Aerospace Center
Space Operations and Astronaut Training | Space Flight Technology | Oberpfaffenhofen | 82234 Wessling | Germany

Dr. Reinhard Kiehling | Head of Flight Dynamics Services
Telephone +49 8153 28-2676 | Telefax +49 8153 28-1450 | reinhard.kiehling at dlr.de<mailto:reinhard.kiehling at dlr.de>
www.DLR.de<http://www.dlr.de/>