[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Re: Navigation WG Requests for SANA "Organization" Registry

SkySentry finklemand at skysentry.net
Mon Nov 9 15:38:17 UTC 2015

Not a serious matter, but there are diverse local, national, and institutional conventions that must prevail.  Like UTC, which is Coordinated Universal Time, not universal coordinated time, or ISO, the International Organization for Standardization.   There are institutional and historical reasons for these, which do not conform to logical standardization.

Dave

Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>>>
>>> We can add the CDM originator Role and the aliases that you have identified.  I do note that the aliases do not seem to follow any particular logic.  For instance, why not ESOC and ESAC, or ESA_ESOC and ESA_ESAC?  Similarly, why GSFC FDF and not GSFC_FDF and why INMARSAT/UK.  Why NASA-JPL (and NASA / JPL), but not NASA-GSFC, or even  NASA_GSFC?
>>>
>>> We get that there are a bunch of random aliases that people use, but don’t you think that a certain amount of order would make some sense, at least in the ones that we register officially?  If there is an agency that has one or more centers then I think it would be good to have the official names for all the ones of that type consistent and not random.  You can always allow these randomized aliases, yes?
>>>
>>> Please suggest one official formulation for these names in the CDM registry that we can apply to all organizations uniformly.
>>>
>>> Thanks, Peter
>>>

>>> From: David Berry <David.S.Berry at jpl.nasa.gov>
>>> Date: Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 12:43 AM
>>> To: Peter Shames <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
>>> Cc: Marc Blanchet <marc.blanchet at viagenie.ca>, "moims-nav-exec at mailman.ccsds.org" <moims-nav-exec at mailman.ccsds.org>
>>> Subject: Navigation WG Requests for SANA "Organization" Registry
>>>

>>> Peter:
>>>
>>> With respect to the SANA Registry Re-Engineering ongoing, the Navigation
>>> WG requires the incorporation of the following into the
>>> http://sanaregistry.org/r/organizations/organizations.html registry based
>>> on material that exists in our current set of Blue Book publications.
>>>
>>> Additionally, we urge that the conversion from "candidate" to "approved"
>>> registry be concluded as soon as possible for the Organizations registry.
>>> Because of its implied size and far-reaching nature, this Organization
>>> registry is one that could potentially require changes on a weekly basis.
>>> It will never be perfect, but if the update cycle is sufficiently
>>> frequent, the gap between the registry and reality should be minimized.
>>>
>>> Here are the specific changes requested (since the "Registration Policy"
>>> for this registry is not yet specified, I'll send them to you):
>>>
>>> 1.  The role of "CDM Originator" and the values in the registry
>>> "Conjunction Data Message ORIGINATOR"
>>> http://sanaregistry.org/r/cdm_originator/cdm_originator.html should be
>>> added.
>>>
>>> Additionally, we would request that the following entries for the
>>> "Abbreviation" column be added in the Organizations registry based on
>>> examples shown in our current Blue Books.  Until now this has been
>>> essentially free form text, which explains the variety of values... note
>>> that there should be no REQUIREMENT for values to be drawn from the SANA
>>> Registry, as I believe this will restrict some adoption of standards by

>>> 3.  ESOC (shown in ODM example, TDM example)
>>> 4.  GSFC FDF (shown in ADM example and NDM/XML example)
>>> 5.  GSOC (shown in ODM example, TDM example)
>>> 6.  INMARSAT/UK (shown in ODM example)
>>>
>>> 7.  INTELSAT/USA (shown in ODM example)
>>> 8.  JSC (shown in ADM example)
>>> 9.  JSPOC (shown on CDM example)
>>> 10. NASA-JPL (shown on CDM example)
>>> 11. NASA/JPL (shown in ODM example... agency with specific subordinate