[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] Re: ODM v.2.30 Draft for your review...

David Finkleman finklemand at skysentry.net
Sun Jun 28 19:51:11 UTC 2015

My comments are broad and cannot be expressed with respect to specific
clauses.

First, the Mean Elements Message should be deprecated.  The intent was
to supplant the Two Line Element Set with more efficient and widely
applicable format.  Russia, for example, uses a different mean element
model, and several providers use models descended from Paul Cefola's
DSST model based on equinoctical elements.   The goal was not achieved.
TLE's persist and are incontrovertibly institutionalized despite their
well demonstrated deficiencies.

Second, the Orbit Hybrid Message should be omitted.  There are many
substantive comments on the proposed Hybrid message whose resolution is
to defer until the next meeting.   In addition, a standard with a
preponderance of optional elements is not a standard.  We faced a
similar issue with the CDM.   What is required is consensus on the
minimum necessary for effective use.   The credibility of a provider is
questionable when essential information is missing.   Optional elements
are not the prerogative of the provider.  They must be negotiated
between provider and recipient.   This not a standard; it is an ICD.
Anything private between two parties is not a standard. In fact, 26699
states that it is a guide for those who wish private agreements.

Finally, SC14/WG3 is the designated parallel developer, demonstrated by
the agreement between SC13 and SC14 that led to the ISO registration
with an SC14 designator.   This must be negotiated among SC14/WG3 members.

Respectfully,

Dave Finkleman