[MOIMS-NAV-EXEC] CCSDS Nav WG Document Guidelines

SkySentry finklemand at skysentry.net
Sat Jul 25 02:00:45 UTC 2015

Thanks.  Most CCSDS recommended standards seek elevation to ISO documents, generally ISO Standards under SC13.  This levies additional requirements dictated in ISO Directives 1 and 2.

Some of these requirements are summarized below.

1.  A delegation vote for approval at the earliest stage is a firm commitment to contribute actively throughout.  It is neither discretionary or tentative.

2.  Documents such as Green a Books that contain mainly guidance or informative material must be ISO Technical Reports.  They cannot be ISO standards.

3.  Contributors to work items that are intended to become ISO standards MUST
    A.  Serve to contribute their technical expertise only.  They cannot represent their institutions or employers, and they must serve INTERNATIONALLY, not representing their nations or delegations.
    B.  Cannot include proprietary, patented, or institutionally unique information, processes, or procedures.  International and national authorities have ruled that this constitutes "restraint of trade."

4.  Terminology must be consistent with approved ISO terms and definitions.  Terms in diverse standards must be internally consistent with each other.  There cannot be more than one definition for a term nor can there be more than one term associated with a definition.

5.  Contributors to each work item must be balanced among industry, academia, and government.  There can be no dominant interests.

All of this and more is codified in ISO and ANSI directives and normative documents for which confirmation is readily available to all.

If these are not met during CCSDS work, the documents and content  must be adjusted to meet ISO requirements before advancing to normative international standards.  These are ISO rules, not opinions or inferences.  It has always been so.

Dave Finkleman

Sent from my iPad