[Moims-mp] Proposed MPS Information Model Updates

Roger Thompson roger.rocketbrain at btinternet.com
Thu Jul 26 14:52:13 UTC 2018

As noted by DLR during today's telecon, I omitted one of the topics to be
looked at off-line from the email.

This has been addressed in the model.  I provide the rationale below.

Related Events / Event Groups

>From the telecon minutes:  There is a potential requirement relating to the
expression of constraints that reference related Events (e.g. AOS and LOS).
Agreed that this requires definition of related Events, as well as the
instance of related Events. Will be taken off-line to consider how this
should be represented.  Options: add Related Events (definitions) to Event
Definition; define Event Groups that will also have Instances as a container
for multiple related events.

The approach I took was to add related events to Event Definitions, rather
than defining Event Groups.  Both solutions are however, feasible.

My rationale was that in most cases the Events are an external input into
the Planning System, which does not typically represent these as a layered
model of Event Groups and Events.

If we were to have Event Groups, then the RelatedEvent attributes of Events
and Activities would need to be able to reference both Events and Event
Groups.

In expressions that reference a related Event, the means of referencing the
Related Event would have an additional level of indirection.
Activity/Event.Related Event > Event Group > Event.  Either way we need a
means of specifying which Related Event within the group - this probably
means something along the lines of the Event in the set with id/name X.
Hence with the current model, the constraint would reference the Activity
and then be expressed as something along the lines of Me.RelatedEvent(X).
If we introduce Event Groups this would have to be expressed in terms of
Me.RelatedEvent.Member(X) - noting that RelatedEvent may be a set of both
Events and Event Groups.