[Moims-ipr] [CMC] Draft CMC note about projects

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Fri Sep 12 08:41:13 EDT 2008

FYI
----- Forwarded by Nestor Peccia/esoc/ESA on 12/09/2008 14:40 -----

             "Kearney, Mike W.
             (MSFC-EO01)"
             <Mike.Kearney at nasa                                           To
             .gov>                      "CCSDS Management Council"
             Sent by:                   <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>, "CCSDS
             cmc-bounces at mailma         Engineering Steering Group - ADs"
             n.ccsds.org                <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>
                                                                          cc
                                        CCSDS Secretariat
             11/09/2008 22:20           <Secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org>
                                                                     Subject
                                        [CMC] Draft CMC note about projects

CMC and CESG colleagues;  This is an informational note from the Secretariat
to explain the approach we are taking to activate the project management
process for CCSDS charters and document schedules.

CRITICAL POINT:  At the CCSDS meetings in Berlin, AD’s need to instruct all
WGs that if they do not yet have all their projects (documents) entered into
the online system, they are to work on *nothing else* in Berlin until they
have completed that.   They must first get their documents and schedules
entered into the system to effectively request approval to work on those
documents.   After that, they can continue working on their normal agenda.

As you know, all of the charters for our WGs have been entered into the
system by the Secretariat, but the WG chairs must enter the projects.  There
are very few projects entered so far.   This note will explain:
(1) how we plan to get all of the current WG projects (documents) into the
new charter/project “Framework” system, and
(2) the process for approving those projects.

These are our plans, but we welcome inputs from anyone that identifies
problems or has constructive suggestions for doing this.

As you can see online by visiting the framework for any WG, there are only a
few projects in the system right now.  If you visit the AMS WG area, you can
see one of the rare examples of a project that is entered.
http://cwe.ccsds.org/sis/default.aspx#_SIS-AMS
   ·         Click on “framework” on the left.
   ·         Then on the row with 6.5 Asynchronous Messaging…  under the
   “Projects” column, click on “Click Here”.
   ·         At the bottom of the screen under “Projects” you will then see a
   Blue book and a Green book.  Click on their names.

You will then see the standard table of milestones that every document will
be required to enter.

The Secretariat proposes that the CESG chairs tell the ADs and WG chairs the
following instructions:
  -----------------
    ·   It is urgent that all WG chairs enter projects (documents) into the
    new CWE Framework system as soon as possible.  It is best not to wait
    until the Berlin meeting.
    ·   If you have not entered your projects (documents) in the system prior
    to the WG meetings in Berlin, your working group *must* enter the
    projects and their schedules in the system *BEFORE* you address any other
    agenda item in Berlin.    Stop all other work until your proposed
    projects and their schedules are documented online.
    ·   HERE IS WHAT YOU SHOULD ENTER AS PROJECTS:
         1.       Enter all projects that are in your *approved charter*
         (previous word document version) which you still plan to produce
         (but drop any that you have cancelled).
         2.       If you have *additional documents* which your WG did not
         get previous approval for, but which your team has a clear plan and
         clear resources to produce, you may add them at this time,
         effectively requesting approval of those projects.
    ·   We will then go through a phase of “blanket approval” for all
    documents entered into the system at that time.
    ·   During their meeting the following week, The CMC will consider the
    total list of documents and will approve most, but may disapprove some
    for CCSDS work.
    ·   The Secretariat will then “baseline” those documents as approved.
    ·   The online system will then be set up for steady-state processes,
    including routine requests by WG chairs for project changes (add, delete,
    change dates), and the CMC approval of those changes.

  In order for the online system’s project management alerts to function, we
  require all dates (with checkmarks) to be entered.  For new projects and
  future dates, this is not an issue.  For existing projects, some WG chairs
  have questioned why they have to enter past dates.  We will tell them that
  past dates do not need to be very rigorous or strictly accurate, but they
  need to at least enter approximate dates for past milestones, so that the
  system alerts will function, and we also benefit because it provides some
  historical record of the length of time to produce various CCSDS documents.
  -----------------

We originally considered telling the WG chairs to enter *only* the
documents/projects that have been approved by the CMC in their previous (word
document) charters, and further, enter *only* the dates that have already
been approved by the CMC.  However, that will simply slow down the process of
getting the most accurate plan documented and approved.  So instead the
instructions above tell the WG chairs to enter the best estimation of their
working group’s efforts at this time.  Hopefully the CMC can approve that
work.  This way we will avoid multiple cycles of entering currently approved
but inaccurate work, and then later another cycle of making corrections.

Some information on the future process for the CMC:
   ·         We will have a CMC poll to add or remove a project from a WG’s
   charter.
   ·         We will not have a CMC poll for every date change of every
   projects.
   ·         We will have a quarterly report of “schedule changes” for
   working group documents to get CMC concurrence using a CMC poll.

The Secretariat requests the support of the CMC members as we urge your
agency’s ADs and WG Chairs to complete the task of documenting the document
plans as projects in the new CWE Framework system.  This is to finally bring
to fruition the visibility and project insight that has been requested from
the CMC for a long time.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01