[Moims-ipr] Re: [Moims-dai] Re: [CESG] Reaffirmation Resolution

John Garrett moims-ipr@mailman.ccsds.org
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 16:36:47 -0400

Hi,

I think we should reconfirm them all for 5 years.  We are currently
actively using all 3 standards (SFDU, CADS, ASCII English)  in the NSSDC.

Even if we complete an XFDU book, it would not become a CCSDS Blue Book for
at least a year from now and thus would not become a ISO Standard until at
least 18 months from now.  And that is the quickest that anything would happen.

Even if we complete an XFDU book, we will still be using SFDU, CADS, and
ASCII English as part of the Archiving System at NSSDC.  We may in parallel
use XFDU, but we are in process now of creating SFDU that contain CA IDs
and ASCII English descriptions and the AIPs that we are creating, we are
creating for long-term preservation.  We will not likely recreate them in
XFDU format within 5 years.

A 6 month reconfirmation is really stupid extra paperwork since we aren't
scheduled to reaffirm these until May 2004.  So a 6 month reaffirmation
doesn't do a thing.

Even if we reaffirm a standard for 5 years, we still have the option of
removing it, updating it, or creating parallel standards at any time during
those 5 years.  So we really don't gain anything (other than a chance to do
more paperwork and being forced to review it again) by reaffirming for less
than 5 years.

By the way, when we reaffirm the SFDU whether it is done now or in 6 months
when it is due, we should remember to note that there was a Corrigendum on
the SFDU book.  ISO should already know that from the reaffirmation in May
1999.  But we don't want to lose that piece of information either.

Cheers,
-JOhn