[Moims-dai] [EXTERNAL] RE: CESG conditions on your OAIS Reference Model, CCSDS 650.0-P-2.0

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 26 23:34:26 UTC 2020

Dear David, et al,

In general, while I could accept what you propose I would do it rather reluctantly, and for the following reasons:

  1.  In Wikipedia, that font of all knowledge, system, in information and computer science, is define like this:  "system is a hardware system, software system<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_system>, or combination, which has components<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_(UML)> as its structure and observable inter-process communications<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-process_communication> as its behavior."
  2.  In the CCSDS glossary, that font of our corporate knowledge, system is defined like this: (CCSDS 311.0-M-1) " A set of elements (people, products [hardware and software], facilities, equipment, material, and processes [automated as well as manual procedures]) that are related and whose behavior satisfies customer and/or operational needs".
  3.  Or like this: (CCSDS 910.2-G-1) " A set of one or more computers, the associated software, peripherals, terminals, human operators, physical processes, information transfer means, etc., that forms an autonomous whole capable of performing information processing and/or information transfer."

It is only these OAIS definitions that stray so far from the norm as to attempt to define this particular kind of "system" as being first and foremost about "organizations", as in the original definition, or now, about "policies, procedures, hardware, software, and information."  Systems are systems.  Policies are organizational guidance about how organizations carry out their tasks.  Procedures are instructions about the steps organizations are to follow in carrying out their tasks.  Neither of these are the primary elements of a system, they are strictly ancillary to the use of the system, but useful to the organization.  Likewise information, for that matter.  Systems may store, transfer, and manipulate information, but they are not that information.

Policy (Wikpedia):  A policy is a deliberate<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliberation> system of principles<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle> to guide decisions and achieve rational outcomes. A policy is a statement of intent, and is implemented as a procedure or protocol. Policies are generally adopted by a governance<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governance> body within an organization.

Procedure (Wikipedia):   a set of step-by-step instructions compiled by an organization<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organization> to help workers carry out complex routine operations.

As an instance of a particular kind of SYSTEM, please adopt a straightforward definition of OAIS that does not convolve these other, separate, terms into the definition nor make them the prominent features of the definition.

It's a quibble, but the addition of that phrase "but is not limited to" seems vague and to add no value.  It's rather like sticking ", etc" at the end of a sentence when you cannot summon up another concrete item to add to a list.  But in fact, placed as it is, it seems to take away meaning from the very concrete definition that should follow it.  Please remove it.

I do not have any issue with the use of "put in place" (or "acquired", or "employed") nor the reference to "staff", in the last sentence.

Is it safe to assume that the other changes I proposed have been adopted as proposed or are there changes to these as well?  Your note was unclear.

Thanks, Peter