[Moims-dai] Fwd: Fwd: General Public V Designated Community

Underdown, David David.Underdown at nationalarchives.gov.uk
Tue Nov 26 17:25:39 UTC 2019

This is very problematic for large public archives such as us here at The National Archives (UK). There are a number of issues at play, but I think the main one is seeing all institutions as having to preserve every themselves to allow independent understandability: in reality all institutions effectively sit within a broad federation of knowledge institutions and online infrastructure. We hold the records of government, the British Library holds published material, between the two (and potentially a lot of reading) you could probably independently understand everything we have. I took a wider look at this with a collaborative doctoral student here earlier in the year in what ended up as this blog post https://www.dpconline.org/blog/access-what-we-are-preserving (we’d submitted as a short paper for iPRES, but while the peer review comments were positive it didn’t quite make the available space on the programme).
--
David Underdown - david.underdown at nationalarchives.gov.uk<mailto:david.underdown at nationalarchives.gov.uk>
Senior Digital Archivist, Digital Preservation