[Moims-dai] FW: IPELTU actions

Mike Kearney kearneysolutions at gmail.com
Wed May 1 20:49:52 UTC 2019

This note has two purposes:  (1) Remind actionees of their IPELTU actions
coming into the meeting in Mountain View next week, and (2) to distribute a
cut at an IPELTU annex for discussion at the meeting (or in this email
thread).

David recorded the IPELTU actions as:

Action: DG update IPELTU main text to hook in planned annexes.

Action: MK (Mike Kearney), MM2(Mario Merri) provide text for IPELTU
operational data annex

Action: SH ((John) Steven Hughes), CR (Costin Radulescu), ML (Rosemarie
Leone) provide text for IPELTU science payload data annex

Action: MLH (Matthias Hemmje), ML (Rosemarie Leone), provide text for IPELTU
Digital Library data annex

Meanwhile, Steve Hughes and I sort of took the second and third action in a
different direction and integrated it for an annex which applies to an
entire space mission.  My rationale in doing this was that we want the
program manager at an early phase to decide (and budget for) the level of
digital preservation at which his mission products are to be preserved (are
valued?), so it has a point blank "are you or aren't you?" choice that he
has to make.  Meanwhile it is a very easy checklist for him to click little
boxes and then issue it as a program directive.  Because it is somewhat like
a PICS-Proforma, I used the term Proforma.  But it's not a Protocol and it's
not a Conformance Statement.  So after some back-and-forth with the chairs
we settled on Digital Target of Preservation Proforma (DTOPP) Checklist.
Comments on that are welcome, of course.

I have started on the first five sections, but there is a long way to go.
However, I think it is just as important with this to be brief as to be
complete, because if it is a heavy task to fill out, it won't get used.  It
needs to be easy for a manager to run down the list saying "Sure, we want to
preserve that post-mission" and check things off.  As you will see, I have
two levels of detail possible, and the program manager can decide whether to
progress from the one-page statement to the multi-page form.

So, the discussion is whether this new concept is useful for space mission
applications, and whether the format could be applied to other IPELTU
annexes.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
<https://public.ccsds.org/about/ManagementCouncil/MikeKearney.aspx>

Huntsville, Alabama, USA

+1-256-361-5411 (mobile)

Member of Technical Staff

Space Infrastructure Foundation
<http://sol.spacenvironment.net/sif/index.html>

Action: DG update IPELTU main text to hook in planned annexes.

Action: MK (Mike Kearney), MM2(Mario Merri) provide text for IPELTU
operational data annex

Action: SH ((John) Steven Hughes), CR (Costin Redalscu), ML (Rosemarie