[Moims-dai] Brief notes from DAI Skype call 27th Aug

David Giaretta david at giaretta.org
Thu Aug 29 11:56:39 UTC 2019

Dear DAIers


The main topic of discussion was the proposed changes about Packaging – see the email exchanges below which preceded the meeting. The basic issue as I see it is that the current definition of Information Object is not consistent with the descriptions of SIP and DIP, and the question is what the best way is to fix this. I proposed text changes but Mark strongly disagreed with this way of doing it.


ACTION: MC will propose a change to the definition of Content Information (or any other changes he believes will work) which would mean that we would not have to make the changes that have been proposed. 


There was a brief discussion about the proposed Purpose and Scope for the OAIS-IF document - see https://www.dropbox.com/s/o14tepnzcz5c2xh/Draft%20introductory%20statements%20for%20OAIS-IF20190729mc-DG.docx?dl=0 . Mike thought that it might be better to add these to the existing purpose and scope which he wrote (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxcub9t8hw1zga1/02_White_Book_Recommended_Standard_OAIS-IF_Draft_190527%20v5.2%20%281%29.doc?dl=0 ) because the one proposed by DG assumed too much knowledge about OAIS. 


These are brief notes to give a flavour of the meeting – please provide corrections/additions.






From: MOIMS-DAI <moims-dai-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org> On Behalf Of David Giaretta
Sent: 26 August 2019 16:14
To: 'MOIMS-Data Archive Interoperability' <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org>
Subject: Re: [Moims-dai] Notes of Skype call Tuesday 20th Aug 2019 and preparation for Skype call next week


Hi Mark


I’ve put my responses to your and John’s comments at https://www.dropbox.com/s/5727jlis2lnzuvu/OAIS%20final%20v3%20draft%20with%20changes%20wrt%20OAISv2%2020190425_bbh_with-DAI-responses-20190605-DG-trial-CI-mcJGG-DG.docx?dl=0 


I’ve responded to the points in Mark’s email below.








From: MOIMS-DAI <moims-dai-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org <mailto:moims-dai-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org> > On Behalf Of Mark Conrad
Sent: 23 August 2019 21:01
To: MOIMS-Data Archive Interoperability <moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org <mailto:moims-dai at mailman.ccsds.org> >
Subject: Re: [Moims-dai] Notes of Skype call Tuesday 20th Aug 2019 and preparation for Skype call next week




I have completed my review of the document with David's proposal for, "changing 20 (out of 216) mentions of “Content Information” to “Information Object” and changing 37 (out of 102) mentions of “Content Data” to “Data”." I have inserted comments throughout the document. As you will see, I strongly object to the proposed changes.  There are a number of reasons for my objections, including:


The changes would require OAISes to keep PDI for every Data Object under their control.

No – as John and I point out, these are just definitions, not requirements.


The changes lead to (further) inconsistencies within the document.

I did not see/understand those inconsistencies, although there were a couple of points that may need discussion.


This is a further dilution from Content Information -> Content Data Object -> Data Object. An AIP must have Content Information and associated PDI for the Content Information - not just the CDO. PDI is not required for any Information Objects other than Content Information.

Yes I agree that PDI is not required for Information Objects except for Content Information. But the changes mean that one is not prevented from having PDI for other Information Objects. Most of the text focusses on AIPs, which have Content Information.


It would be much better and easier to state what is the reality. SIPs, AIPs, and DIPs have very little in common in terms of purpose or requirements. SIPs are used to transmit all or parts of Content Information and PDI from the Producer to the OAIS. DIPs are used to transmit all or parts of information derived from AIPs. "The exact information contents of the SIP and DIP and their relationship to the corresponding AIP are dependent on the agreements between the Archive and its Producers and Consumers." (Section

As we discussed at the meeting, this would be an alternative, consistent, way of doing things but I personally think it is conceptually messy and would cause other problems. One may feel obliged to remove the common term “Information Package” from SIP, AIP, DIP. The use of the term “Information Package” would become difficult/impossible in related OAIS documents. 

Mark Conrad
NARA Information Services

Systems Engineering Division (IT)
The National Archives and Records Administration
Erma Ora Byrd Conference and Learning Center
Building 494, Room 225
610 State Route 956
Rocket Center, WV  26726

Phone: 304-726-7820
Fax: 304-726-7802
Email: mark.conrad at nara.gov <mailto:mark.conrad at nara.gov>  



On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 7:48 AM David Giaretta <david at giaretta.org <mailto:david at giaretta.org> > wrote:

Discussion this week (3rd Tuesday of the month):

*       Most discussion was about the updated UML diagram sent by Steve Hughes just before the meeting.

o   UML tools:

*  JPL uses MagicDraw

*  DG uses Enterprise Architect

*  Felix suggest that  https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-06/r/eclipse-modeling-toolshttps://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-06/r/eclipse-modeling-tools <https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-06/r/eclipse-modeling-toolshttps:/www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2019-06/r/eclipse-modeling-tools>  might be of interest. He also sent the document ReverseEngineeringPlugins.docx available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/sja7y0rzwedl40h/ReverseEngineeringPlugins.docx?dl=0 

*       An issue which overlaps with the OAIS updates was the definition of Information Packages – currently they must have “Content Information” rather than the more general “Information Objects” – see mark up in document noted in the action below. 


Preparation for next Skype call on OAIS update finalization:

*       The document with combined changes wrt 2012 release of OAIS is available at https://www.dropbox.com/s/o424z4gfmoaosnc/OAIS%20final%20v3%20draft%20with%20changes%20wrt%20OAISv2%2020190425_bbh_with-DAI-responses-20190605-20190805.docx?dl=0

*       ACTION FOR ALL BEFORE THE NEXT SKYPE CALL: read and comment on additional suggested changes in https://www.dropbox.com/s/avi4vu6u888lz6q/OAIS%20final%20v3%20draft%20with%20changes%20wrt%20OAISv2%2020190425_bbh_with-DAI-responses-20190605-DG-trial-CI-change.docx?dl=0 . This involved changing 20 (out of 216) mentions of “Content Information” to “Information Object” and changing 37 (out of 102) mentions of “Content Data” to “Data”.








MOIMS-DAI mailing list
MOIMS-DAI at mailman.ccsds.org <mailto:MOIMS-DAI at mailman.ccsds.org> 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/moims-dai/attachments/20190829/c8521041/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the MOIMS-DAI mailing list