[Moims-dai] OAIS SC 235: OAIS Preservation Issues

Mike Kearney kearneysolutions at gmail.com
Wed May 16 22:34:25 UTC 2018

Don, I have to say that was a well-crafted and thought-provoking writeup,
especially the first section.  I think I got both knowledge and an
experience (pleasurable) out of reading that.

All:  I fully support Don's suggestion to add experience preservation as a
salient component of the concept of OAIS.  Bear in mind that I'm the new
guy, so that may or may not lend the concept credibility.

Don, in the process of adding the missing component, you focused on the term
"experience".  I have always held a concept that the brain maintains a
"software model" of the environment.  Once the sensory inputs come in, they
add to that software model and the increasing fidelity of that model can, I
think, be equated to gaining knowledge and experience.  In support of that,
here's a statement from a
<http://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.10034
22> professional article that says "the brain represents a model of its
environment and offers predictions about the world."

That software model of the environment in the brain may be where knowledge
and experience (while perhaps separate concepts during transport from the
picture on the wall to the brain) may merge back together to be one thing.
that software model of the environment.  So. I don't know if that helps or
hurts your case.  But I think your point is. OAIS needs process/mechanisms
that are guaranteed to handle both traditional knowledge and less-tangible
experiential knowledge...  experience.

I really like your example of the black-and-white picture on the wall.  One
person may take away only the memory of a black and white image on a wall,
and nothing more.  Another person, seeing the black-and-white image of
soldiers in the trenches in WWI may take away only the knowledge that
soldiers were dirty.  Another may look into that image and be transported to
that environment in WWI, experiencing it as much as the media allows.  Which
is knowledge and which is experience?  May be difficult to draw the line.
And if that photo of soldiers in WWI has Wonder Woman PhotoShopped into it,
that conveys something completely different. fantasy rather than knowledge.
Or can fantasy be knowledge also?

Anyhow. very thought-provoking.  Thanks, Don.  Hope I didn't generate
"spoilers" for those that haven't read it yet.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

Huntsville, Alabama, USA