[Moims-dai] OAIS and the OAIS Architecture

Mark Conrad mark.conrad at nara.gov
Mon Mar 12 17:35:40 UTC 2018

I will preface my remarks by saying that I am not sure I understand many of
the points/distinctions that are being made in the document Mike sent
around. I think it would be very helpful to have a specific example of
(parts) of the architecture and example implementations so that we are all
talking apples-to-apples.

A few comments:

"To extend an archive’s capabilities further, a trustworthy repository can
also implement compliance with the Data Archive Architecture and protocol
(or plugin/binding/API/whatever) and can then cite that it is a trusted
archive that is interoperable with other entities (archives, providers,
consumers)."

Maybe I don't understand how you are defining inter-operability. By
definition an OAIS has to be able to interact with its providers and the
consumers in its Designated Community. What other interoperation are you
proposing for the producers and consumers in its Designated Community?

"The “second stage” is to move on to interoperable systems, architecture
and protocols, with those processes as the foundation."

Interoperability with another OAIS is a feature that an OAIS may or may not
want to support. It is important to remember that the OAIS responds to the
needs of its Designated Community and its resource allocators. These groups
may or may not be interested in interoperability with other OAISs
(especially if that interoperability comes with additional costs).

"But don’t hold your breath, because many CCSDS WGs have talked about that
“gold standard” interoperability certification capability, but none have
accomplished it."

Interoperability with what, precisely?

"5. However, the Interoperable protocols (or bindings or APIs) are
requirements imposed on an archive database implementation (An
“implementation” based on Oracle or MySQL or another RDBMS).  Or on an AIP
implementation.  The database and the AIP design must comply with the
communication formats at the protocol interface or API but they can
implement with various underlying structures."

Maybe I am misunderstanding your text. It appears to me that the
architecture would already be constraining the OAIS infrastructure if it is
to be limited to RDBMS.  There are many repositories out there that are
using NoSql databases and other tools for managing their digital objects. I
am also not sure what is meant by "communication formats."

"Yes, to the OAIS RM, the Data Archive Architecture prescribed (normative)
in the DA ADD looks like one of many possible architectural
“implementations.”  But it’s not an implementation to the protocols or the
archive implementers, it’s another (albeit lower) set of requirements.  So
let’s not call it an implementation.  It’s an architecture."

The way I read this is that the goal is an architecture that would limit
the possible implementations an OAIS could pursue. What am I getting wrong?

"Personally, I think the architecture completes an incomplete OAIS, hence
should be called (named) OAIS."

What is it that you see as lacking? Interoperability? With what?

My two cents for now. My brain hurts!

Mark