[Moims-dai] OAIS and the OAIS Architecture

Mike Kearney kearneysolutions at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:18:16 UTC 2018

In terms of the naming convention for the architecture… I would like to keep this as an open discussion for a while longer.  The term “Framework” is quite a bit overused nowadays (The CCSDS management “framework” for example).

My opinion was that OAIS would benefit from an interoperable architecture, but if the group wants to have a terminology divide between OAIS and this digital preservation architecture, then so be it.  I would encourage the group to discuss this a bit further, though.

Bob, your discussion about whether there can be multiple frameworks for OAIS interoperability…  If the multiple frameworks are not interoperable with each other… that would be a really bad thing.  Similar to having two OAIS Reference Models that contradict each other.  And if the multiple frameworks for OAIS interoperability are interoperable with each other…  I think that’s one framework, not two.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney

Huntsville, Alabama, USA