[Moims-dai] Notes from DAI Webex meeting 14th Feb 2017

David Giaretta david at giaretta.org
Wed Feb 15 12:16:12 UTC 2017

Notes from DAI Webex meeting 2017-Feb-14

1.	Status of Report to CMC on status of DAI WG Future - version sent
%20CMC.pdf?dl=0 – Word version is

*	Webex held with Mario on Monday 13th Feb
*	DG will send around notes on the meeting. Bullet points of
improvements which we have identified based on the Webex 
*	Note Mario mentioned SM&C "archive" - need to make it clear what the
difference between that service and what we are doing.
*	Note that CMC will have to approve each book/project 
*	Plans may change as we "socialise" the plans 

2.	IPELTU see latest doc at
x?dl=0 - You will notice there are quite a few changes 

*	Used the definition of PHASE from PMBOK and clarify the text 
*	Updated section 5 to make the matrix more readable and consistent
with the PMBOK approach - still need work for consistency 
*	Removed the details of LTDP and add to the block diagram of phases
(the diagram has been corrected from last week – one of blocks had the wrong

3.	OAIS Update (and ISO 16363 Update) (http://review.oais.info/)  Work
on Suggested Changes 

*	Some preliminary discussion about SC#135 

*	John Garrett suggests we discuss it together. 
*	Terry Longstreth: OO-IO is adding complexity. Making an
architectural rule for implementation. Current OAIS does not impede
distributed implementations.
*	Matthias Hemmje: shares concerns about increasing complexity of the
standard if we add too much more about distribution. OAIS already deals with
distribution. Mentioned at iPres and other meetings as a need. This is a
valid area of work but it may need more work before it could be incorporated
into the OAIS. The OAIS does not specify a distribution architecture nor
does it prohibit it. Check all references to distributed in the current
standard and make sure they do not impede distributed services. Sections
6.1.1 through 6.1.4.  Add another example/instance - Distributed OAIS
functional entities are distributed but form one OAIS. What Zierau, McGovern
et al suggest is one special case of a Distributed OAIS.
*	John Garrett: Important to address distribution in this edition of
the OAIS. Make some changes in the main text and include an informational
annex. Helen will be talking to Nancy - let us see what happens and maybe
hold Skype call.
*	David Giaretta: May be related to 121. Need to think about
implications for ISO 16363

*	SC#97 - agreed by DAI - waiting response from Stéphane Reecht 
*	SC#212 - deferred until discussion on Roadmap 
*	SC#121 - new inputs received from Giovanni 
*	SC#30 - Terry is writing text and this is related to SC#75: 
*	SC#75 - needs text to be written 
*	SC#102: Bob likes "change "may be applicable here" to "may be used
to help define the data submission formats and procedures". JGG suggests
adding some parenthetical text. Check with Mark: 
*	SC#109 - TL says lien is a stronger term. Could say "liens i.e.
lists of required corrections or other issues that must be resolved" an
leave diagram as it is.  JGG will add resolution to review site 
*	SC#130 - TL says we should broaden the examples - perhaps include
voice command or computer-to-computer interfaces. DG and TL to provide text 
*	SC#132: JGG in favour of keeping examples. Maybe we should be more
explicit that this is an example. Text like:  “
.accepted or rejected. It
could for example include the functionality to provide an estimate of the
cost of the request and an option to cancel the request. “. JGG will put
this on review site 

Mark Conrad, in follow-up to today's meeting, provided links to stories
about what can go wrong when digital preservation is not planned from the

1.	Barbara Sierman's site:
2.	The links below are to articles about the delays to the rollout of
the Airbus A380 because of incompatible data issues and how it cost the
company billions of dollars:

*	Catalogue of Catastrophe Airbus A380:
*	BBC – Q&A: A380 delays:
*	The Airbus saga: Crossed wires and a multibillion-euro delay:
*	What Grounded the Airbus A380?: Company management and CAD software
both under fire in an interoperability debacle of jumbo proportions:
*	Airbus: First, Blame the Software: Use of incompatible programs
takes the rap, but behind that is a management team cobbled together from
formerly separate companies:
*	A380 Program Update – Global Investor Forum – Oct 2006 (see slide 13
*	EADS execs pledge to restore confidence in Airbus, fix A380

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/moims-dai/attachments/20170215/cb523708/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: image003.png
Type: image/png
Size: 856 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://mailman.ccsds.org/pipermail/moims-dai/attachments/20170215/cb523708/attachment.png>

More information about the MOIMS-DAI mailing list