[Moims-dai] Article on impact of OAIS' Designated Community term

Mark Conrad mark.conrad at nara.gov
Fri Apr 28 19:01:32 UTC 2017

Terry,

You and I must have read different papers:

"The findings in this paper support the author’s contention that
alternative digital preservation models and metrics are necessary within
cultural heritage institutions, like libraries and museums, to meet the
professional standards of practice in those areas and to ensure the
inclusion of broad populations within the user bases of digital
repositories."

"The author argues that Designated Communities are fundamentally at odds
with the professional ethos of certain memory professions and that this
term is the source of considerable power for a digital preservation
repository in a way that privileges the institutions more so than the
publics and audiences they serve. This paper posits that OAIS authors are
requiring digital information practitioners to ‘in-script’ their archives
in a way that necessarily excludes some populations from using materials
(Akrich, 1992)."

"The ability to designate a group of people grants power to the archive
when looking at historical politics of oppression governing group identity
formation. In this instance, the group’s identity is formulated and
regulated by an outside body, the Archive, with no writing or scholarship
as of the writing of this paper about the potential to include community
members in this designation process."

This woman's dissertation takes a similar position (
https://www.ideals.illinois.edu/handle/2142/92696). She has been presenting
this work to DPC (
http://www.dpconline.org/events/past-events/dpc-webinar-encoding-power-bettivia-26-oct-2016)
and ASIST. Essentially she is advocating that libraries and museums should
abandon OAIS and move on to something else.

Mark