[Moims-dai] Notes of the meeting and actions

David Giaretta david at giaretta.org
Thu May 5 08:53:41 UTC 2016

Hi Don

In section 1.1 you say "at each stage there is a minimum set of data that
should be captured. There is Additional Information associated with this
data"
Also in section 1.2 bullet one says "".. into 4 stages and identifies the
data..."

This implies
(1) the Additional Information is only created when data is created - but at
the Formulation stage the Additional Information is the best guess about the
data to be created later
(2) the Formulation stage creates data - which is not true unless you mean
that the plan is itself data - which could be the case but would need to be
explained
(3) the implication seems to be that the document will define some minimum
set of data - I don't see how we could do that.

Without wanting to defend the term too strongly, we introduced "Primary
Data" in order to have some focus because a project may create many
different types of data but it seems sensible to identify the data which
will (as part of the Content Information) become what OAIS terms the "target
of preservation".

..David