[Moims-dai] Information or data lifecycle vs Project lifecycle - incomplete monograph

D or C Sawyer Sawyer at acm.org
Tue Mar 15 12:10:06 UTC 2016

All,

I agree with David’s concerns. I think the need and focus should be on what the ‘project’ needs to do to ensure its information is ready for long term preservation.  To accomplish this would be a significant step forward and broadening it would be a distraction.  This does not mean that concerns for the Designated Community are to be ignored as this must be of concern to the project as it prepares its information for presentation to an archive, but a full consideration of possible future Designated Communities would get into archival activities. I think a project should include a description, at the proposal stage, of the Designated Community it has in mind.  This would provide a focus for the nature and amount of ‘additional information’ needed to accompany the primary data being submitted, and it would aid in the review by the project and others as to the adequacy of the total information to be preserved. That is how I see it.

I’m sorry but I’ll not be available for today’s telecon.

Cheers-
Don