[Moims-dai] Improving the quality of data submissions

Mark Conrad mark.conrad at nara.gov
Tue Jun 21 14:21:51 UTC 2016

I came across this article that talks about the need to improve the quality
of submissions to digital repositories.

Public Data Archiving in Ecology and Evolution: How Well Are We Doing?

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.1002295

Abstract

Policies that mandate public data archiving (PDA) successfully increase
accessibility to data underlying scientific publications. However, is the
data quality sufficient to allow reuse and reanalysis? We surveyed 100
datasets associated with nonmolecular studies in journals that commonly
publish ecological and evolutionary research and have a strong PDA policy.
Out of these datasets,* 56% were incomplete*, and* 64% were archived in a
way that partially or entirely prevented reuse*. We suggest that cultural
shifts facilitating clearer benefits to authors are necessary to achieve
high-quality PDA and highlight key guidelines to help authors increase
their data’s reuse potential and compliance with journal data policies.

Mark Conrad
NARA Information Services
IAS
The National Archives and Records Administration
Erma Ora Byrd Conference and Learning Center
Building 494, Room 225
610 State Route 956
Rocket Center, WV  26726

Phone: 304-726-7820