[Moims-dai] Extra slide for Vint

John Garrett garrett at his.com
Sat Apr 2 05:25:46 UTC 2016

Hi Brent,

Yes, that seems right.

Interesting that in some senses all digital copies are originals.

In paper based resources, when there are multiple sources, researchers try
to determine which is the original and study source and timelines of changes
through others.  If enough appropriate provenance information is included
with the digital items.

I imagine for some digital item a number of different preservation
strategies will be applied or there will be many different curators
performing the preservation.  But I suspect the vast majority of digital
items will only have a single preservation stream.  In that case, a single
approach will likely be used and even if there are multiple copies in
multiple locations they should have identical fixity to ensure that each
copy where the fixity matches is an authentic copy.

Wishing you prosperity and peace,

-JOhn