[Moims-dai] RE: Updated ICP framework document

david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk david.giaretta at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 10:44:41 UTC 2015

Hi all

In case I miss the ICP discussion today:

In general I share John's comments/concerns and I have a couple of extra points:

1) in previous discussions it seemed to help to think about what needed to be "handed over" from one stage to the next. Sometimes these stages will be handled by the same people but often this will not be the case. Thinking about the what needs to be handed over focusses on what each stage needs to add
2) Esther emphasised that there were some similar cycles in several of the stages and between stages - if we try to define processes in too much detail things will get complicated and probably less general. In OAIS we used recursion to get out of that kind of problem
3) there is the use of "stewardship, curation or preservation" - I think we have to use a term (stewardship?) and define it - and then add in a note that in common usage there is confusion/overlap between these terms. If we add to the confusion then we will get into trouble.

Regards

..David