[Moims-dai] Comments on Mike's paper

Boucon Daniele Daniele.Boucon at cnes.fr
Tue Sep 23 09:07:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

Here is my contribution.
I agree with the previous comments. The PAIS is at the very beginning.

I suggest to identify what could be done on PDS side to better conform to the PAIS, even by using the current operational mode.

I have been asked several times by Archive holders for usage of this standard (EUMETSAT, ASI ...). Unfortunately for the moment the GB is not available, and I really think that the GB, with examples, is the best tool we have to dissiminate this standard and show it can be used in an easy or complicated way.
The prototypes are good starters, but they can not be viewed as operational tools.

My opinion is that it is always complicated to introduce new implementations on existing operational chains. It is better to anticipate it on new chains or tools.

This is the case at CNES: we have a generic tool for data archiving and access. A completely new version will be developped by 2 or 3 years. The persons who specified have studied how the PAIS could be integrated, and the way to have a unified method of receiving descriptive information from XML/Manifest.

ESA was favorable towards testing the PAIS on a real case.

Cheers,

Daniele