[CSS-GFT] Terrestrial File Transfer - Concept Book Update

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Sun Jul 13 15:27:03 EDT 2014

A few comments on the book:

Section 1.2.2 (Scope) states:

"...whereby a file may be delivered by the TFT along with metadata that enables the files to be injected into a CCSDS File Transfer Protocol (CFDP, see Refs. [1]and [2])  entity."

OK, I haven't read past here yet*, but I suspect that the 'metadata' really wants to be part of the file as far as the underlying file transfer mechanism is concerned.  That is, the 'application' in this example is "send a file that can then be forwarded via CFDP".  Two points:

*        I think the 'real' implementation for this example should be and end-to-end CFDP file transfer over the BP network protocol.

*        If we're intent on using something like SFTP on the ground, let's keep all the metadata WITH the file.  For instance, one could define some sort of extensible header information to be placed at the front of the file data.

I don't think the CFDP Green Book can be a normative reference from a Magenta book (or at least I don't think it makes sense to do so).

Section 2.6.2.3 - Directory Names

Why not put the wrappter_file.FILE_TYPE (labelled wrapper_file.xxx in figure 2-2) in the wrapper_file directory?  Or is the figure supposed to be showing two options, one where there's just the one file that would unwrap into cwd and one where there are multiple attachments (including the 'base' file?) that would unwrap into a directory?

--keith

* EXCELLENT!  Section 2.6 "In view of this it is suggested that each delivery of a file or files is accompanied by a manifest file that contains the metadata relevant to the file or files being delivered and that this manifest file and the data file(s) are "wrapped" into one file." is exactly what I was looking for!  THANKS!  [OK, on further inspection you're essentially taring or zipping the manifest file together with the actual file?  Maybe not how I was thinking of it, but fine.]