[Css-dts] Re: Another SLE RAF Question

Michael Stoloff Michael.J.Stoloff@jpl.nasa.gov
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:26:39 -0700

Brian,

This is not the first time that this particular question has come up.  What
follows is just my interpretation of the CCSDS RAF Blue Book Issue 1 and my
understanding of the JPL implementation of RAF service.  I have copied the
CCSDS Data Transfer Services working group on this message, and I welcome
any corrections or differing interpretations.

My first comment is to suggest that use of start and stop times with online
delivery mode is probably not a good idea to begin with.  In practice, both
JPL and ESA generally set those times to "null" for online delivery
mode.  I believe that the start and stop times in the RAF-START operation,
while permitted in online delivery mode, were intended primarily for use
with offline delivery mode, which is how we use them.

However, the RAF Blue Book does permit use of start and stop times with
online delivery mode, so the question you raise ("Should the service return
frames that were previously returned in [a prior] session?") is a valid
one.  Various drafts of the specification answered that question
differently, and the RAF Blue Book Issue 1 may even contain some language
that is at least ambiguous and possibly incorrect (another reason not to
use this feature).

This issue was discussed explicitly by the working group during the review
process that preceded publication of the RAF Blue Book.  My recollection of
that discussion is that the working group intended that once a frame is
delivered, it is actually removed from the online frame buffer and, thus,
is not available for re-delivery following a re-bind.  This is in contrast
to the offline frame buffer, where the contents are intended to be
persistent for some time (days or even weeks).

I am not certain of the behavior of the actual JPL implementation.  I
believe that, in the case of complete online delivery mode, the JPL service
provider would re-deliver frames even though they had been delivered in a
previous session.

I hope that this information is of some use to you.  As previously noted,
comments, corrections, and other interpretations are welcome.

--Regards,
   Michael