[Css-csts] Functional Resource Set Names

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Nov 5 15:53:35 UTC 2019

Dear Wolfgang,
I can go along with not using just the “TM” qualifier for the Synchronization and Channel Decoding FR Set and FR. However, I find using “Telemetry” instead to be problematic because  (a) it is just the expansion of “TM”, and (b) the point of AOS was that it is more than what is traditionally thought of as “command’ and “telemetry” (also voice, video, video files, etc.). On the other hand, leaving it just unqualified “Frame Synchronization” is perhaps too broad, especially with the possibility of some future use of variable-length USLP on the return link (or the future use of the FR to represent the TC receiving functions onboard a spacecraft). How about “Fixed Length Frame Synchronization and Channel Decoding”? That mirrors the terminology on the sending side. Then it’s applicable to TM, AOS, and FLF USLP frames.

Your subsequent email indicates that you have seen my correction to combine TM and AOS SDLP functionality into common FRs. I confess that I have not confirmed that it will be simple or appropriate to combine AOS and TM Packet Extraction and De-encapsulation, although that is my feeling based on what I know about the two SDLPs. I propose that for now we carry it as a combined FR and schedule it as a “Tier 2” issue due for resolution by, say, the end of February? If it then turns out that it would be inappropriate to combine the two, could we consider putting both FRs in the same FR Set with rules to the effect that it is an exclusive OR situation?

Best regards,
John