[Css-csts] functional resource priority lsit

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Aug 5 19:57:05 UTC 2019

CSTSWG colleagues ---
Last month the CSS Area concurred to create separate functional resource sets for AOS, TC, and Unified space data link protocols in both the forward and return direction. This will result in the following changes to the baseline set of FRs:

-          A new Forward USLP FR Set (the lower layers of this are already in the FR Reference Model Tech Note);

-          Splitting the current Return TM/AOS SDLP Reception FR Set into separate Return TM SDLP Reception and Return AOS SDLP Reception FR Sets; and

-          Adding a new Return USLP Reception FR Set.

At the spring Workshop, the WG updated the priority list for which FRs would be targeted for inclusion in the end-of-year "drop" for the SANA Registry. That list contains no USLP FRs (in part because at the time we thought that USLP was going to be folded into the AOS, TC, and TM FR Sets). Should the FRs of the USLP FR Sets be added to the end-of-year list? This might be difficult, not only because of time and resource constraints, but because Wolfgang and I have discovered several ambiguities (and even possible errors) in the USLP specification, and it might be better to wait until those issues are resolved before we commit to a representation in the SANA Registry.

Whatever happens regarding USLP, I propose that the split into return TM and AOS FR Sets be included in the end-of-year drop, since the combined FR Set has been included in the earlier priority list. Wolfgang has already done a lot of work on this and so I think it will largely be a matter of making 2 copies of the existing FR Set and down-scoping the two sets to the specific SDLPs. I can also be available to do some of this tailoring (e.g., for the AOS set).

I have attached a strawman update of the priority list that reflects these changes. As before, the color-coding uses green to indicate that the FR is in the end-of-year drop. I have color-coded the USLP FRs  orange to indicate that the WG has not yet determined their status with respect to the year-end drop.

I look forward to your comments.

Best regards,
John