[Css-csts] tracking data recording buffer retention issues

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Mar 1 13:47:23 UTC 2016

Dear Margherita,
Thanks for the quick response. I agree that further discussion and brainstorming at Thursday's telecon is a good idea, but I'd like to respond to one aspect of your comments here. The Recording Buffer exists and persists outside the lifetimes of individual CSTS service instances. Furthermore, in general (and also in the specific case of the tracking data service), the Recording Buffers can be accessed by multiple CSTS instances simultaneously or asynchronously. Beyond that, the Mission may need to change the operating characteristics of a Recording Buffer when there is no active Space Link Session Service Package. So I think that managing/controlling the Recording Buffer through a TD CSTS instance is not a viable mechanism.

The Service Control service would be one way for the Mission to control the operation of a shared resource such as a Recording Buffer, but the SC-CSTS will still be limited to being available only during the execution of a Service Package of some sort. So how a Mission might adjust the operating characteristics of a resource "between" the executions of Service Packages is something that has not yet been addressed, even in Service Management. Note that there *is* a mechanism for setting the initial values for such resources - the Service Agreement. What I am talking about here is making subsequent adjustments to such settings.

The above discussion is about *how* such parameters could be changed, but my original question was even more basic than that - it was whether for TD-CSTS we should even try to identify what "parameters" make sense to control such things, or simply do what the SFW does and state that it is outside the scope of the standard. If we take the SFW approach, that allows the CSSMWG to either ignore it or to decide to address it in a systematic manner. But if we declare in the TD-CSTS book that it is managed by SM then we essentially require the CSSMWG to decide which parameters are needed and how those parameters are managed/controlled.

I('m looking forward to discussing this on Thursday.

Best regards,
John