[Css-csts] Status of MD-CSTS

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Jun 22 18:28:22 UTC 2015

Peter,
I failed to repeat all of the "background information" regarding annexes F (MD-CSTS) and  L (CSTS SFW). Both annexes are informative only - they both point to the SANA registry as the repository of the full, true, normative set of parameters.

The reason for the existence of annex L in the CSTS SFW is (a) to describe the contents of the SANA parameter registry entries and (b) to provide examples (in this case, 2) of those parameters.

The reason for Annex F in MD-CSTS is a little  bit different. There is an extensive Operational Scenario  in section 2 of the MD-CSTS that walks through how an instance of MS-CSTS is configured, bound, and operated. Since there are a number of variations of the way a single instance of MD-CSTS can be used, the scenario uses  a number of different parameters of different functional resources (just to make the scenario fun!). To keep the operation scenario from totally sinking in the details, the parameters and events used in the scenario use OID names (e.g., {few401SpaceLinkCarrierXmit}) instead of the OIDs themselves, and aren't defined in the scenario itself. Annex F provides that lower level of detail for anyone who wants to see how the whole thing works top-to-bottom, without having to go "outside the book" to the SANA registry to get the lowest level of those details. A secondary benefit of putting Annex F in the MD-CSTS is that the Operational Scenario can remain stable with respect to the example set of FRs and parameters in Annex F, and not have to be changed (or become incorrect) if (for whatever reason) the normative set of FRS and parameters might change in the future. The Operational Scenario and Annex F remain synchronized to describe the content, if not necessarily the actual FR types and parameters.

We have written annexes F and L to be consistent with the SANA registry as we conceive of it today, and with luck they will remain consistent, at least with respect to the FRs and parameters that we chose to use in those annexes. But we can't know that that will always be the case, s both Annex F and Annex L have the appropriate disclaimers that these are examples, and that one must always go to the SANA registry to get the real deal.

So - bottom line - I believe that we are already doing essentially what you have suggested. The question that I was attempting to raise in my email below was how much the _representation_ of the SANA registry info in MD-CSTS Annex F needed to look like that of CSTS SFW Annex L, in light of my concern that the Annex L style of representation is would bloat the MD-CSTS book a bit more.

Best always,
John