[Css-csts] SLE Issues: open questions

Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int
Wed Mar 13 12:03:50 EST 2013

Dear Martin,

Please find below my view regarding the two issues for which you ask the
opinion of the CSTS WG members:

- Provider initiated BIND in the SLE return services: My preference is to
remove this feature. To the best of my knowledge, although this feature has
been part of the SLE Recommendations from the beginning, it has not been
implemented by any SLE provider. We can safely conclude by now that obviously
this feature is not needed in practice. As removal of the feature results in
a simplified state machine, I regard it beneficial to remove this not needed
capability from the Recommendations.

- How to report parameters that have not been initialised: In 'real'
operations I have seen that the GET-PARAMETER operation is used only very
infrequently and there fore a not fully 'clean' solution such as a dedicated
numerical value flagging the not initialised condition should be acceptable.
On the other hand, I assume that due to other changes in the specifications
we will have to change also the version-number used in the BIND operation. If
that is the case, there is no backward compatibility since in case the
version numbers on user side and provider side do not match, the BIND will
fail. Taking that into account, there is no compelling reason to opt for a
not really clean solution and to leave the ASN.1 alone. The ASN.1 changes
needed for a truly clean solution are very simple and therefore I would
prefer the truly clean solution.

Best regards,

Wolfgang

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |Martin Karch <martin.karch at telespazio-vega.de>                                                                                                        |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org" <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                             |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |11/03/2013 11:48                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[Css-csts] SLE Issues: open questions                                                                                                                 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |css-csts-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                    |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear Working Group members,

We have started to prepare the Pink Sheets for the SLE Books based on the
problems reported by Wolfgang in his presentation on SLE issues during our
meeting in Cleveland (see
http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/CSS-CSTS/CWE%20Private/SLE%20Services/SLE%20Issues.ppt
  in the CWE).

There are the following 2 open points for clarification:

- removal of the provider initiated BIND from the return services:
  Do we remove provider initiated BIND or do we keep it?

- how to deal with not yet 'initialised' gettable parameters when the ASN.1
as is does not allow the parameter to be set to NULL. (See page 26 on SLE
Issues presentation).
We think the cleanest solution would be to implement an ASN.1 change
introducing a value qualifier. The more pragmatic (less invasive) approach
would be the use of specific values to flag not yet initialized parameters.
The decision on this shall be made by the WG.

May I ask you to send me your opinions/decisions on these 2 points above not
later than 15.03.2013.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Martin

----------------------------
Martin Karch
Telespazio VEGA Deutschland GmbH
Europaplatz 5
D-64293 Darmstadt
Germany
Tel : +49 (0)6151 8257-135
Fax : +49 (0)6151 8257-799
Email : Martin.Karch at vega.de
Web : www.telespazio-vega.de
Registered office/Sitz: Darmstadt, Register court/Registergericht: Darmstadt,
HRB 89231; Managing Directors/Geschäftsführer: Sigmar Keller, John Lewis,
Yves Constantin
Notice of Confidentiality
This transmission is intended for the named addressee only. It contains
information which may be confidential and which may also be privileged.
Unless you are the named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the
addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you
have received this transmission in error please notify the sender
immediately.