[Css-csts] Use of Functional Resource Names in CSTS SFW operations and procedures

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Fri Jul 26 09:44:40 EDT 2013

Dear John,
Holger and myself  have made some brainstorming on the issue you have
raised in your e-mail from 22 July (attached).

The outcome is that, we would favour leaving the Functional Resource
option in.
In fact, we think it is very convenient (and practical) for a CSTS User of
a Service to just request the delivery of  *all*  parameters belonging to
the FR . Think of a (future) CSTS-based telemetry or telecommand service.
The User would simply request all the parameters associated to that CLTU
FR or RAF FR.

To be more specific, for the ListOfParametersEvents structure, we favour
the following approach:

1) introduce the functionalResourceType option to the CHOICE. This is the
"wild card"  to be used by all Services who are not aware - or not
interested - of the FR number.  As said during the telecon ( and as per
John's e-mail)  the standard behaviour is that for any label there could
be at most only one instance of the parameter associated with the CSTS
service instance

2) retain the functionalResourceName option in the CHOICE. This shall be
mainly used by the MD Service, but may be used in the future also by other
yet unknown services.

The above approach, while not forcing any Service to make use of the one
or the other option, still offers the widest range of possibilities for
the Service to be built on top the Framework. The Services shall simply
refine the "offer" from the Framework, by choosing the one or the other
option. This is, I think, the objective of a well-thought Framework.

Instead, if the FR options ( be it name or label) are not part of the
CHOICE, we should describe somewhere ( Framework or Guideline) how a
Service shall extend the ListOfParametersEvents structure in case all
parameters of a FR are of interest to the Service User. Obviously the
parameters can be listed by means of the paramEventName/paraEventLabel
options,  but this requires adequate knowledge of the FR itself, it is
less flexible (if a new parameter gets added to the FR, the list needs to
be re-compiled) and, all together,  it is more error prone.

Please let us know how you see our proposal.

Kind regards,
Margherita

Margherita di Giulio
Ground Station Back-end Section (HSO-GIB)
European Space Agency ESA/ESOC
Robert-Bosch-Str. 5
D-64293 Darmstadt - Germany
Tel: +49-6151-902779