[Css-csts] RE: Some problems with the NOTIFY operation

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Sat Sep 8 08:03:15 EDT 2012

Dear John,

I carefully read your mail and I agree with your comments. Here are my
answers with the changes in the book:

Problem 1: Note in 3.10.2.2.3.3
We agreed that the Functional Resource is always required.
The note in 3.10.2.2.3.3 is a left over from a previous approach where I
proposed to have have the Framework events carried without being associated
to any Functional Resource. From our latest discussions and decisions, this
statement is not valid. I will remove the note.

Problem 2: Event-value definition to authorise the 'null' value
Note:  I  changed  your proposal stating that unless otherwise specified, the
event-value shall be 'null'
The requirements are rephrased as follows

3.10.2.2.3.2       This operation shall define the following published events
(event-name):
   ‘production configured’ — configuration of the production process has been
   completed. Unless otherwise specified by the procedure using that
   operation, the associated event-value shall contain a null value.
   ‘production interrupted’ — the production process has stopped because of a
   condition that may be temporary. Unless otherwise specified by the
   procedure using that operation, the associated event-value shall contain a
   null value.
   ‘production halted’ — the production process has been stopped by
   management action. Unless otherwise specified by the procedure using that
   operation, the associated event-value shall contain a null value.
   ‘production operational’ — the production process is ready to process data
   and production-status has changed to ‘operational’. Unless otherwise
   specified by the procedure using that operation, the associated
   event-value shall contain a null value.

4.5.4.2.2.2.1      The  value  of  the  notification-type shall be one of the
following:
   the types specified by the common NOTIFY operation in 3.10.2.2.3.2; the
   notifications specified in the common NOTIFY are discardable;
   ‘data discarded due to excessive backlog’ (event-name) — some data was
   discarded by the Service Provider, either because of timeliness
   considerations (real-time mode) or because of recorded buffer overflow
   (complete mode);
     unless otherwise specified by the service using that procedure, the
     associated event-value shall contain a null value;
     this notification is discardable;
   end of data’ (event-name) — the Service Provider has no more data to send:
     the conditions triggering the ‘end of data’ insertion shall be defined
     by the derived procedure;
     unless otherwise specified by the procedure using that operation, the
     associated event-value shall contain a null value;
     this notification is non-discardable.

The ASN.1 is adapted as follows:
-- The definition of the Notification types follows the definition in
-- 3.10.2.2.3 and are defined by the Object Identifers
-- productionConfigured, productionInterrupted, productionHalted and
-- productionOperational (see C7).
NotificationTypes             ::=   SEQUENCE
{     eventName                     ParamOrEventName
,     eventValue                    CHOICE
      {     text              [0]   VisibleString
      ,     empty             [1]   NULL
      }
,     notificationTypeExtension     Extended
}

Problem  3:  Functional  Resource  Identifier  to  be used with the Framework
events
The  events defined by the Framework shall be transferred with the Functional
Resource Identifier of the service triggering the events.
We  have  two  places with Framework events: the NOTIFY operation and the BDD
procedure.
In order to cover the cases I added the following 2 requirements:
3.10.2.2.3.4       The  events  defined  by  the  NOTIFY  operation  shall be
transferred with the Functional Resource Identifier of the service triggering
the events.
4.5.4.2.2.2.2   The  events  defined  by the Buffered Data Delivery procedure
shall  be  transferred with the Functional Resource Identifier of the service
triggering the events.

Problem 4: Section 4.8.4.1.2.2.10 attached Note
We agreed that the Functional Resource is always required.
The note is a left over from a previous approach where I proposed to have
have the Framework events carried without being associated to any Functional
Resource. From our latest discussions and decisions, this statement is not
valid. I will remove the note.

I updated the Framework document with the above answers.
Please let me know if the changes answer your comments.

Best regards

Yves
Head of the Ground Facilities Infrastructure Section  (HSO-ONI)
in the Ground Facilities Operations Division
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/