[Css-csts] Impossible/unenforceable return timeout peer-abort?

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Fri Mar 9 14:55:42 EST 2012

Wolfgang,
Thank you for your response.

If I may attempt to summarize and paraphrase your response, the SLE
Provider entity never actually "looks" at the return-timeout-period
managed parameter; that is, nothing that the SLE provider entity
does is driven by that value.

When the user PEER-ABORTs with the diagnostic 'return timeout',
it helps isolate the source of the problem.

The user SLE entity is presumably configured with the return-timeout-period value.

[As an aside - do you know of any users that depend on getting the value
from the provider entity via GET-PARAMETER? It doesn't seem reasonable
to use the GET value to actually configure the user side.]

The presence of the parameter on the provider side presumably
signifies that some thought was given to the timeout value used and to the
technical considerations that lead to the determination of that value.
The value shouldn't be so short that the association is aborted if a failover
of the underlying comm. links/equipment can be successfully performed.

However, just to be clear - the appropriate analysis *could* be done and
the user SLE entity could be configured with a reasonable timeout-period
and everything would work fine without the return-timeout-period
parameter of the provider entity actually being configured with
that value.

Is that a fair summary?

Thanks again.