[Css-csts] Re: Open Loop Recording Service

Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int
Mon Aug 6 03:27:27 EDT 2012

John,

Interesting that you bring up the topic now in the sense that I come just
off console after completion of our support of the MSL landing.
Fortunately enough, our support was not really needed because everything
was nominal, but this was a good example of a scenario where the provision
of open-loop recording was part of a cross-support arrangement. In this
specific case, we had to resort to open-loop recording because the signal
during EDL was too weak and in terms of Doppler profile too dynamic for
capturing it with a closed-loop receiver. We provided open-loop recording
as a cross-support service also in cases where the signal could be (and
actually was) acquired by a closed-loop receiver, but only as long as the
signal emitted by the spacecraft is nominal. In case of a malfunction,
open-loop data can prove to be an invaluable source of information for
forensic purposes.

I agree with you that the IOAG Service Catalogs cover this type of service
only indirectly and it probably would have been better to be really
explicit. Technically speaking, what has to happen at a ground station for
DDOR is open-loop recording. I certainly concede that the configuration
for DDOR will differ in the sense that we want to cover a wide bandwidth
but the resolution of the individual sample can be very limited. For
scenarios as outlined above the bandwidth can be relatively small, but one
wants higher resolution of the samples. Nonetheless, assuming that this
flexibility in terms of recording is provided, the 'Delta DOR Service' as
identified in IOAG SC1 covers what is needed. As said above, we probably
should have made this point very clear rather than hiding it except for
those who happen to know how DDOR measurements are made.

Best regards,

Wolfgang