[Css-csts] multiple instances of BDD procedure

Martin Götzelmann martin.goetzelmann at vega.de
Mon Feb 7 12:23:35 EST 2011

Dear John,

Your observation is of course completely correct but I think this true in general in that all specifications for all procedures are only applicable to a single instance of that procedure. For instance, in the Data Processing Procedure all statements concerning sequence control and sequence preservation of operation invocations apply to a single procedure instance only.

If a service allows more than one procedure instance then I think the service designer needs to specify whether there is a need to coordinate the instances and if so, how this is done. I feel this issue is comparable to case of FSP where the specification allows several service instances but then defines how the data from different services are multiplexed and how service provisioning may be controlled by a (single) service instance with "directive invocation capability". While sequence preservation is enforced for a single service instance it is not for the complete set of instances feeding a single FSP production engine. Maybe that is something the guidelines should address.

I think that approach should also be applied to the definition of management parameters. If a service allows multiple procedure instances, it should specify how management parameters have to be dealt with. For some services a single set applicable to all procedure instances my be the obvious approach while for others specification per procedure instance might be more appropriate. I think the MD CSTS has taken yet another approach in that management parameters (e.g. parameters, parameter lists, etc) are defined at service level but then the set that applies to a given procedure instance is selected in the START invocation. At runtime, therefore, the parameters in-effect might actually be specific to a procedure instance.

My understanding has always been that the Service Instance in the FW view is only a container for the procedure instances and as such I think it has to be talked about. With the possible exception of association control, I did not have the feeling that the FW intends to say anything about the service level behaviour, but I have not re-read the text. Maybe one can add more words in the introductory sections to further clarify this (maybe even under scope)?

Kind Regards,
Martin