[Css-csts] CSTS - NOTIFY operation changes - Object Identifiersupdates

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Wed Dec 21 07:10:26 EST 2011

Dear John,

Once more thank you for your effort.

I worked and cross checked the ASN.1 and found the same problem as you. I
also consider the following definition as incorrect:
NotificationTypes ::= CHOICE
{ eventName ParamEventOrListName
, eventValue VisibleString
, notificationTypeExtension Extended
}
(I simply forgot to replace CHOICE by SEQUENCE)

I replaced it by:
NotificationTypes ::= SEQUENCE
{ eventName ParamEventOrListName
, eventValue VisibleString
, notificationTypeExtension Extended
}
With that definition I have to admit that I force the specifier to define any
new event as an Object Identifier. This OID is completed with a VisibleString
and the Extended.
   The VisibleString allows the procedure/service to send any message in a
   text form;
   The extension allows the procedure/service to define any structure (This
   functionality will be required for the forward services).

=====
I looked at your alternative proposals:
NotificationTypes ::= CHOICE
{ notificationType ::= SEQUENCE
  {  eventName ParamEventOrListName
   , eventValue VisibleString
  }
, notificationTypeExtension Extended
}
This approach forces the procedure/service that needs additional parameter to
use the extension and does not allow the use of event name (including a
functional resource).
From my understanding that structure is not desirable.

The second alternative structures:
EventName ::= CHOICE
{ eventName ParamEventOrListName
, eventNameExtension Extended
}

EventValue ::= CHOICE
{ eventValue VisibleString
, eventValueExtension Extended
}
would again prevent the use of the agreed structured event name and from my
understanding is not desirable.

Please let me know if the replacement of CHOICE by SEQUENCE solves the issue.

I am not sure that I will have time before Christmas to work on the book
again and I will publish it with the above change. Additional changes will be
incorporated into the January 2012 version.
I will send a separate mail pointing to the uploaded file.

I wish you a merry Christmas with your family.

Best regards
Yves