[Css-csts] Offline storage for ROCF

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Mon Dec 19 14:14:44 EST 2011

Wolfgang and Martin,

I am nominally sending this message to you as you have perhaps the
greatest continuing history with the SLE specifications and
implementations, but I invite anyone in the CSTSWG or SMWG to comment.

As a short introduction, as you may or may not know, the NASA Space
Network (SN) Ground Segment Sustainment (SGSS) Project will be adding
RAF, RCF, ROCF, and FCLTU SLE transfer services and a modified form of
SCCS Service Management. Management of RAF, RCF, and FCLTU are already
covered by SCCS-SM-Blue-1, but (as you know) ROCF is not. I am trying to
create what will be essentially an unofficial (from the CCSDS
perspective) technical corrigendum to add management of ROCF to SCCS-SM
Blue 1 so that the SGSS Contractor has a "recommendation" that will be
consistent with the handling of RAF and RCF.

In general, it has been a straightforward process to generate the new
ROCF material, especially since table 3-1 of the ROCF service
specification was extended to include all managed parameters (as was all
of the SLE specifications). One issue that I have stumbled upon,
however, is in what needs to be configured for the initial recording of
data that is intended to be retrieved via instances of offline ROCF
service.

In order to set up the description of the problem, let me first
summarize how management of playback-related resources are handled in
SCCS-SM-Blue-1. In SCCS-SM-B-1, we have assumed a model in which, for
each mission supported by a Complex, the Complex establishes and
maintains a (virtual) data store at each Complex antenna that might be
used by that mission. The list of antennas that are available to a
mission are recorded in the Service Agreement, and for each such antenna
the Service Agreement specifies the capacity that is to be made
available to that mission, how long after data capture any particular
data item (e.g., frame) will be retained, and the overflow policy that
is to be applied if the mission tries to exceed its allocation at that
antenna (FIFO or discard latest). [Note that this antenna-oriented
approach probably needs to be improved for Blue-2 - e.g., storage is
probably allocated and managed on a site-wide basis (e.g., ground
station) vs. a per-antenna basis, but for Blue-1 we have the antenna
orientation.]

In SCCS-SM, each Space Communication Service Profile (SCSP) can contain
zero or more ReturnLinkFrameDataSink components. Each
ReturnLinkFrameDataSink component specifies a data stream that is to be
recorded when that SCSP is scheduled. Each ReturnLinkFrameDataSink
component is associated with a Functional Group ID which essentially
acts as a data stream identifier. For example, if different data streams
appear on the I & Q channels of a QPSK-modulated return link, each would
be given a unique Functional Group ID. I devised this use for the
Functional Group ID  as a way to comply with the minimal data selection
criteria available through offline SLE transfer service instances. It is
implicit that when the frames are flowed into the data store at the
antenna, they are annotated with the Functional Group ID for subsequent
retrieval via offline SLE transfer service instances.

I tried to come up with an approach that is workable under various
Complex operational concepts and constraints. For example, t supports
the approach of having only one data store per mission at each antenna,
or multiple data stores could be established at each antenna. If a
Complex has relatively abundant storage resources, then the
ReturnLinkFrameDataSink components could normally be configured to store
all channels, with the selection for playback being controlled by the
offline transfer service instances. However, if a Complex needs to
manage its storage more closely, the ReturnLinkFrameDataSink components
can be configured to allow only certain VCs to be stored in the first
place.

Now let's consider the case of ROCF. I'll use several scenarios to
illustrate options for how storage and retrieval of ROCF data could be
realized.

In the first scenario, the SCSP contains a single
ReturnLinkFrameDataSink component that is configured to store all frames