[Css-csts] Parameter Names and Published Identifiers - Notification procedure

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Wed Dec 7 15:41:28 EST 2011

Yves,

Here are my comments on the proposed updates to the Notification procedure:

1.       In reading the first 2 sentences of the second paragraph under the Concept section, I realized that I still did not get it quite right in the Information Query and Cyclic Report sections, and since the revised Notification section follows that same style it has the same problem. The short explanation of the problem is that I used the name of the operation parameter in the first sentence, and then the second sentence appears to define that parameter (but it doesn’t, exactly). I think (hope) that replacing the first two sentences of the respective Concept sections with the following single sentences fixes the problem:
Information Query: “The set of queriable parameters for a CSTS are identified by the parameter names of individual queriable parameters and/or parameter list names of lists of queriable parameters for that service.”
Cyclic Report: “The set of reportable parameters for a CSTS are identified by the parameter names of individual reportable parameters and/or parameter list names of lists of reportable parameters for that service .”
Notification: “The set of notifiable events for a CSTS are identified by the event names of individual notifiable events and/or event list names of lists of notifiable events for that service.”

2.       The second to last sentence in the second paragraph under the Notification Concept section should read “The default list has no identifier, and it is automatically subscribed when no event names or list name are explicitly specified.” (instead of “… when no event names or list identifiers are explicitly specified.”)

3.       Section 4.10.4.1.2.2.4 used to read “A derived service may define additional individual notifiable events. For each additional individual notifiable parameter, a string-valued published identifier, and the type and range of the event value (see ‎4.10.4.2.2.2) shall be defined.”
It now reads “A derived service may define additional individual notifiable events. For each additional individual notifiable parameter, an event name, and possible associated extension shall be defined.”

a.       I agree with the change of “string-valued published identifier” to “event name”.

b.      I think that “the type and range of the event value” should not have been deleted. Since the event value is part of every event notification, if new events are added by a service then the event value associated with that new event must be defined.

c.       I’m not sure what “possible associated extension” refers to. If it the fact that every set of extension parameters can be further extended, we agreed that this is inherent in all extension parameters (unless explicitly prohibited by the service specification) and should not be called out in individual cases.

4.       In the Common Types ASN.1 module, the ListOfNamesDiagnosticsExt now defines the unknownNames choices as
SEQUENCE OF
{              text        AdditionalText
,               name    ParamEventOrListName
}

Before Boulder, this unklnownNames choice was defined as (doing a direct type substitution for the UnknownNames type)
SEQUENCE
{              text        AdditionalText
,               name    SEQUENCE OF VisibleString
}

In other words, before Boulder, there was one text (AdditionalText) for the whole list of unknownNames. Now there is one text (AdditionalText) for *each* name in the list. I don’t have a problem with the new approach, but I just want to point out that it is different from what it was before in case there was a reason to have the text component refer to the list as a whole. The same comments apply the the CyclicReportStartDiagnosticsExt type in the Cyclic report PDUs ASN.1 module.

5.       In the NotifyInvocation type in the Common Operations PDUs ASN.1 module, the notificationType parameter of type NotifiicationType, which is defined in the Common Types ASN.1 module as an extensible choice of productionConfigured/Interrupted/Halted/Operational, each of which is of type Extended. The Notification PDUs ASN.1 module appears to be attempting to define event-name (i.e., dual obkject identifier) forms of these standard notifications as extensions, so that there will in effect be two choices for representing each standard event notification; e.g., productionConfigured  of type Extended (in the base NOTIFY operation) and nProductionConfigured for the Notification procedure. There should only be one possible choice for each, derived from their base types as defined for the NOTIFY operation. Although it is somewhat ugly, the Notification PDUs ASN.1 module should define extensions for each of the standard NotificationTypes, e.g., something like
NotificationNotifyNotificationTypeProductionConfiguredExt ::= SEQUENCE
{              functionalResource                         CHOICE
                {              resourceIdNotApplicable             [1]          NULL
                }
,               nProductionConfigured                OBJECT IDENTIFIER   ::=   {nevents 1}
}

NotificationNotifyNotificationTypeProductionInterruptedExt ::= SEQUENCE
{              functionalResource                         CHOICE
                {              resourceIdNotApplicable             [1]          NULL
                }
,               nProductionInterrupted               OBJECT IDENTIFIER   ::=   {nevents 2}
}
.
.
.
FunctionalResourceQualifier       ::=           CHOICE
{              resourceIdApplicable     [0]          PublishedIdentifier
,               resourceIdNotApplicable             [1]          NULL
}

(I don’t know if the above is legal ASN.1 for restricting the value of functionalResource to the resourceIdNotApplicable choice, but I hope that it gets the idea across).