[Css-csts] Error in the SLE Specifications

Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int Wolfgang.Hell at esa.int
Thu Jul 29 05:25:46 EDT 2010

Dear Tom,

JPL and ESA are in the process of agreeing some simplifications of the SLE
configuration needs and in that context we are developing some conventions
regarding the specification of SLE Service Instances, in particular how to
build the Service Instance Identifier. In the process of doing that I also
checked the draft conventions against the CCSDS SLE standards. In the course
of doing that I found that the pertaining ASN.1 module contains some errors.
>From looking at what is incorrect it becomes clear that these are purely
editorial errors, for the most part too much copy and paste, rather than an
intent to change conventions that have been applied by the SLE implementers
since years. In fact, as it stands, the module is self contradicting:

-- Service Name identifier,
--       the name of which is:   "cltu"
--       the value of which is:  "cltu" plus an instance number;

but it also states:

-- +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
-- CLTU Service Definition
-- The cltu Service Id starts with "onlc" or "onlt" or "offl" and is
-- followed by the instance number.
cltuService ATTRIBUTE      ::=   {  ID cltu  }

In the attachment you will find the current version of the ASN.1 module as
well as the same module with the corrections implemented (track changes on)
that need to be applied. I have reviewed the corrections that I'm proposing
here with Yves and Margherita and they are in agreement. Note that this
module is the same in alll SLE Transfer Service specifications.

I hope that this message is just in time for putting the corrected ASN.1
module before F-CLTU and FSP are officially published further to the CESG
approval. Would you think that for the return services a corrigendum will be
the appropriate way to go?

Best regards,

Wolfgang

(See attached file: SII as is.doc)(See attached file: SII as it should
be.doc)