[Css-csts] Monitored Data Service : some points to verify

Cyril THOMAS cyril.thomas at c-s.fr
Fri Oct 16 11:19:16 EDT 2009

Dear John,

Reading once again the Monitored Data CSTS document (v0.8) raised for me
some points to check :
1) In your operational scenario on page 2-13 the parameters are named
"functionalGroup:parameterName" whereas at the end of page 5-1 a "." is used
to separate the functional group and parameter name (according to revision
bars it seems that the previous approach was to used the semi-colon, maybe
you did not update your scenario accordingly ?)

2) On page 2-14 in the operational scenario you mention that the stop on
secondary procedure is done before the stop on prime procedure. When reading
this, a question came up in my mind : what happen if we do the other way ? A
note in the Framework (in ?2.6.1) states : "This Recommended Standard does
not specify any interdependencies between the procedures that constitute a
service.  However, the service specification may specify dependencies that
must be observed e.g. with respect to the sequence in which procedures are
started". I could not find in the Monitored Data CSTS document a place where
this is explained. Maybe something could be added in the normative part of
the document ?

3) In the table 3-1 we state that the Monitored Data CSTS can have any
number of cyclic report procedure instances and notication procedure
instances. I was wondering if we shouldn't state that an upper bound may be
specified via the service management ?

4) On page 2-13, second paragraph : "...which places the prime procedure in
the 'Active' substate and the service instance in the 'Ready' substate" if
I'm not mistaken it should be in 'Active' substate. Also I'm wondering if it
would not be better to state 'Bound.ready' and 'Bound.active' to keep the
terminology used in the framework. Using 'ready' and 'active' for SI
substate is quite confusing with the 'inactive' and 'active' states of
procedures.

5) I could not find in the document the format for parameter list names. Is
everything allowed ? Shouldn't we specify something ?

6) I guess there is a typo in the title of section 4.6.4 : "4.6.34.6.4
DEFAULT MONITORED PARAMETER LISTS" if my understanding is correct there is
only one default list, so we should remove the final "s".

Best regards,
Cyril.