[Css-csts] opaqueString value possible for Cyclic Report?

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Fri Nov 27 07:47:21 EST 2009

Dear John,

You are right the requirement in 4.7.3.2 is not specific enough and leaves
the possibility to the implementer.
We have to rephrase it and I propose:
The TRANSFER-DATA shall be extended as required in 3.9 to carry the
selected parameters (names, type, value and qualifier) using the
qualified-parameters parameter (see annex B). The TRANSFER-DATA shall be
implemented using the extension capability and not the octet string.

The document is with Tom and I will see with him if we can still update
the document.

Best regards

Yves
Head of the Stations and M&C Integration Section (OPS-GSI)
ESA/ESOC Robert-Bosch Strasse 5
D-64293 Darmstadt, Germany
Tel.: +49 (6151) 90.2288               Fax:+49 (6151) 90.3046
Internet: http://www.esa.int/

"John Pietras" <john.pietras at gst.com>
Sent by: css-csts-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org
20/11/2009 22:03

<css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
cc

Subject
[Css-csts] opaqueString value possible for Cyclic Report?

CSTSWG colleagues ---
I hope that I am merely misunderstanding something, but it just now seems
possible to me for the data parameter of the TRANSFER-DATA operation of
the Cyclic Report procedure to have an octet-string value (via the
opaqueString choice), even though our intention is that it have the
QualifiedParameters syntax. That is to say, the ASN.1
CyclicReportTransferDataExt extension type extends the possible values to
include the qualifiedParameter choice but it does not inhibit the
opaqueString choice.

Is my interpretation correct? If so, is the following statement in section
4.7.3.2 in the main text:
“The TRANSFER-DATA shall be refined as required in ‎3.9 to carry the
selected parameters (names, type, value and qualifier) using the
qualified-parameters parameter (see annex ‎B).”
sufficient to ensure that an implementation of the Cyclic Report procedure
will not encode the data parameter as an octet string?

I realize that the book has already gone to the Secretariat for
preparation as a Red Book. If there is a problem here, we would have to
deal with it in the RID process.

John Pietras
GST, Inc.
7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200