[Css-csts] opaqueString value possible for Cyclic Report?

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Fri Nov 20 16:03:06 EST 2009

CSTSWG colleagues ---

I hope that I am merely misunderstanding something, but it just now seems possible to me for the data parameter of the TRANSFER-DATA operation of the Cyclic Report procedure to have an octet-string value (via the opaqueString choice), even though our intention is that it have the QualifiedParameters syntax. That is to say, the ASN.1 CyclicReportTransferDataExt extension type extends the possible values to include the qualifiedParameter choice but it does not inhibit the opaqueString choice.

Is my interpretation correct? If so, is the following statement in section 4.7.3.2 in the main text:

“The TRANSFER-DATA shall be refined as required in ‎3.9 to carry the selected parameters (names, type, value and qualifier) using the qualified-parameters parameter (see annex ‎B).”

sufficient to ensure that an implementation of the Cyclic Report procedure will not encode the data parameter as an octet string?

I realize that the book has already gone to the Secretariat for preparation as a Red Book. If there is a problem here, we would have to deal with it in the RID process.

John Pietras

GST, Inc.

7855 Walker Drive, Suite 200

Greenbelt, MD 20770