[Css-csts] The name of the Tracking service

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue May 13 12:26:18 EDT 2008

CSTSWG colleagues ---
There was some correspondence soon after the Spring meeting regarding
the name of the "tracking" (formerly "radiometric") service. It appears
to be generally agreed to drop the "streaming" from the name for both
technical and aesthetic (pleasantness) reasons. Several alternatives
have been suggested, including "tracking data transfer service",
tracking data delivery service", "cross support tracking data transfer
service", and "tracking data transfer cross support service".

I realize that I am coming in "late in the game", but I'd like to
suggest another variation on this collection of words: "tracking data
cross support transfer service". I think that this has a slight
advantage over the other combinations in that it keeps the "cross
support transfer service" phrase together in the title. I believe that
using the CSTS "brand name" in this way identifies this as a tracking
data service that is based on the CSTS framework. Anyone familiar with
the CSTS framework would recognize this as a "CSTS-style" service, and
inherently understand that it is different from, for example, a file
transfer-based tracking data delivery service.

I apologize for not participating in this discussion sooner.

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive
Suite 200