[Css-csts] New Monitored Data CSTS White Book on CWE

John Pietras john.pietras at gst.com
Tue Feb 5 14:25:58 EST 2008

Members of the CSTSWG ---
I have uploaded an updated version of the Monitored Data CSTS White Book
(MonitoredDataCSTS_W-0.05.doc) to the CCSDS Collaborative Work
Environment (CWE) > Cross Support Services Area (CSS) > Documents >
CSS-CSTS > CWE Private > Future Services using Toolkit at URL:
http://cwe.ccsds.org/css/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcss%2Fdo
cs%2FCSS%2DCSTS%2FCWE%20Private%2FFuture%20Services%20using%20Toolkit

As you recall, there are still issues regarding the best way to support
multiple versions of a CSTS in such a way that maximizes
interoperability. As we discussed at the last telecon, simply deriving a
more complex service from a simpler one does not facilitate
interoperability, but making some procedures optional is undesirable to
some. Also, there are outstanding issues about the nature of a separate
Notification procedure, and a "full featured" Monitored Data service
would use such a Notification procedure. Finally, there is a strong
desire to have some form of a Monitored Data specification to support
the beginning of prototyping efforts.

For these reasons, the v0.05 version that I've just uploaded addresses
the simple version that has only the Cyclic Report procedure (one prime
and multiple secondary instances). It may very well be that we decide
that the actual first Monitored Data service Blue Book has some way to
support the full feature set (notifications and queries in addition to
cyclic reports), but while the CSTSWG is discussing the possible
approaches this simple version can service as a starting point.

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive
Suite 200