TR : [Css-csts] Issues regarding Cyclic and Unbuffered Data DeliveryProcedures - Update

Lassere Francois francois.lassere at cnes.fr
Fri Jul 13 08:32:20 EDT 2007

Members of the CSTS WG,
Neither me, nor Thomas will be available for the next teleconference on the 31/07, so I send to you our answers about the comments made by John last week.
Best regards.
François

A. List-of-parameter member validity as a condition for positive result of the START operation

In the Behavior section, paragraph 2.2.3 states "If at least one of the parameters of the list is unknown then the START operation shall return a negative result and the diagnostic shall contain the list of unknown parameters." I remember we had long a discussion on that point and unless I made a misunderstanding we have decided that the procedure behavior is consistent with this 2.2.3 paragraph. However it's true that in the paragraph 3.1.6.1 ( b)Extended diagnostic), 'all parameter names undefined' should be replaced by 'list of unknown parameters :'. In addition, I think that the use of the words "unknown" and "undefined" is not yet completely clear in the procedures : So far I have understood that, when a parameter is not mentioned in the list-of-parameters, it is called an "unknown parameter" and it has an "unknown value" as qualifier. When a parameter is in the list but its value for any reason is not yet available this parameter has an "undefined value". Do you agree on that ? If you do, we have to update the procedures because some sentences are not consistent with this definition.

B. Number of parameter values reported in a single TRANSFER-DATA invocation

action item#07-0107 states "The Cyclic Data Delivery procedure delivers a sequence of parameters as part of the TRANSFER-DATA. The structure should be identical to the list delivered with the GET. Careful analysis is required as the TRANSFER-DATA cannot contain this definition and it may be that list is to be defined in the Cyclic Data delivery procedure." Do you agree that we should replace the content of the paragraph 3.3.2.2 (data) in the Cyclic Data Delivery Procedure by  the content of the paragraph 4.13.2.3 List-of-parameters-values for the GET operation in the procedures definition document ?

C. Conflict between cyclic reporting and 'live data' concept in the underlying Unbuffered Data Delivery procedure

In my understanding there is not necessarily a conflict : we can consider that the provider doesn't wait before data delivery but waits for timer expiration then parameter values are acquired and transmitted "as soon as possible after their production". "as soon as possible" is not a very precise specification. However in order to avoid too strict interpretations the "as soon as possible after their production" could be reworded for example in the following way : "transmitted in the next tranferring data operation". We think that giving as suggested a timestamp for each parameter monitored would be an important constraint.

D. Ambiguity about data discard policy in the underlying Unbuffered Data Delivery procedure

I suggest we replace the following sentence : "If the underlying communications service generates backpressure because of congestion, the service provider shall discard the data and/or notification." by this one, taken from the Transfer Buffer paragraph in the RAF document : "If new data needs to be inserted into the transfer buffer, but the transfer buffer is full and cannot be passed to the communications service provider due to congestion of the communications service, then the entire transfer buffer is discarded as one unit."

E. Redundant parameters of Unbuffered TRANSFER-DATA and base operation.

I agree, it will be corrected.

F. Various typographical errors and editorial issues in the Cyclic Data Delivery Working Note

a: I think probably there were several internal versions of the working note before it was updated.
b: I agree, it will be corrected.
c: I agree, it will be corrected.