[Css-csts] 'invalid range' diagnostic value

Yves.Doat at esa.int Yves.Doat at esa.int
Wed Dec 5 02:37:58 EST 2007

Dear John,

a) Your comment is valid and I updated the definition with your proposed
text.

b) I am not sure of the problem you are pointing at. In the book we cannot
define the names that will be defined & exchanged between the service user
and service provider. That's why in the ASN.1 I stated "This name being not
formally agreed can only be used for logging or tracing".
A cleaner approach may be to state that the names exchanged between the
service provider and service user must be defined by the service. If you
agree I can add such statement somewhere in the text.
I do not understand the meaning of "ASN.1 name of the parameter in violation"
in your text.

Best regards
Yves

             "John Pietras"
             <john.pietras at gst.
             com>                                                         To
             Sent by:                   <css-csts at mailman.ccsds.org>
             css-csts-bounces at m                                           cc
             ailman.ccsds.org
                                                                     Subject
                                        [Css-csts] 'invalid range'
             03/12/2007 19:19           diagnostic value

In CSTS Procedures Definition Recommendation 0.11, the diagnostic value
'invalid range' is defined as "The value of one of the parameters is
provided with an invalid range. The diagnostic is complemented with a
copy of the invalid parameter". (4.4.2.7.1)

However, in the ASN.1, the diagnostic CHOICE value invalidRange is
complemented by a variable of type Name, which is defined as

"-- A name is a name used between the service provider and the service
user.
-- This name being not formally agreed can only be used for logging or
-- tracing.
Name                                                         ::=
VisibleString (FROM (ALL
EXCEPT " "))"

a) Should the definition in 4.4.2.7.1 read "... The diagnostic is
complemented with the name of the invalid parameter"? "A copy of the
invalid parameter" is ambiguous.

b) It seems that as far as the formal specification of the name that
accompanies the 'invalid range' diagnostic is concerned, any string
could show up in Name part of the 'invalid range' diagnostic, whether or
not it looked anything like the name of the parameter that violated the
range check. Might it not be desirable to specify that the parameter
name passed in the 'invalid range' diagnostic be the ASN.1 name of the
parameter in violation?

John Pietras
Global Science & Technology, Inc. (GST)
7855 Walker Drive