[CMC] Materials from the CMC Presentation / discussion of the space internetworking security topic

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Dec 8 16:52:02 UTC 2021

Dear CMC and CESG members,

Thanks for listening to, and participating in, this presentation on the topic of space internetworking security.  Your comments and feedback were really valuable and I have made some edits to this file to reflect that input.  The next steps should be a deeper, and on-going, discussion of these topics and how we can approach them within your agencies, mission, and within CCSDS and IOAG.  I was really pleased to hear that some of these discussions have been started within your agencies, specifically in the context of ground station assets and certain missions.

The challenge that we have, however, is to elevate this to a multi-agency context and to understand what a secure DTN network interoperability architecture, trust framework, policies, and governance models should look like in the context of joint, collaborative, space exploration.  I hope that this is just the start of a much longer, and deeper, discussion that involves CCSDS, agency, and mission experts.

Thanks, Peter

Peter Shames
CCSDS Systems Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-490
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-6871

Internet:  Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov

We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language exerts on our ways of thinking and, in fact, delimits the abstract space in which we can formulate - give form to - our thoughts.

Niklaus Wirth